From:
Carolyn Kingeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 08:08:00 -0500
Hi everyone.  with the holidays approaching I thought I would share a story
in hopes of saving someone from going through what I did, last year.  A week
before Christmas last year, my daughter was given a puppy (from a pet
shop).The puppy had all its shots including a cough guard shot, for kennel
cough.  So the papers said.  It was about a week later when my dog came down
with kennel cough .  About 2 days later my 3 year old ferret, Tyler came
down with it.  My dog was sick enough, but Tyler almost died.  He had flu
like symptoms with coughing that was so bad he couldn't even eat.  He was
put on antibiotics, pediacare for the cough and pedialyte for fluids.  I had
to force feed him duck soup and was up every couple of hours forcing the
fluids.  After many trips to the vets for chest x-rays , ect, he did get
back to normal, but it took a long time.  Also my other ferret, 1 years old
at the time was put on antibiotis as a preventative.  So take this for what
it is worth and keep those new puppies away from your ferrets,( and your
dogs too.) even if they have a cough guard shot.

P.S.  My vet seemed to think that the puppy must have been exposed to the
kennel cough before he got his shot or that he was a carrier.  (The puppy
is fine, never got sick.)

Thanks Carol3247