From:
Aaron Mahler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1993 15:23:51 -0400
 Hi all! I'm a proud new carpet shark companion (I hate the word "owner" when
applied to animals :) and had some (probably typical) questions.

 First off, he's a siamese, descented, fixed male - yes, I purchased him from
a local pet store before really becoming aware of professional breeders, etc.
His Neuter/Descent guarantee doesn't have a company name, but the address is
to a place named MFU so I assume that is Marshall Farms. I've heard disparaging
comments about Marshall Farms on here and was wondering what the problems were.
He certainly is an affectionate and playful little guy so I'm not sure if there
is something I should be worrying about if this is the case (MFU)? The address
is North Rose, NY by the way. I spoke with the pet store owner on the phone
a bit ago and he said he had heard of Marshall Farms but purchases his ferrets
from a place in PA called Pleasant... something or other? I know it started
with a "P" but can't think of it now. That doesn't explain the New York address
and MFU on the card - I didn't pursue the topic with him yet.

 Anyway...regarding his shots. I will definitely get distemper. I need to know
what specific rabies vaccine to get. The pet store said something about
Duck Egg type vaccine and that the vets were familiar with it. My vet, however,
said they use the normal dog vaccine and have not had problems. I'd like to
be sure what to ask for before I go risking the little furries health! :)

 In playing with him - I wouldn't say he is a "biter". He does like to nibble
painlessly and fairly gently on my toes - I've been stopping him and saying no
but have not yet begun thumping him on the nose. Also - on a similar note: what
is scruffing exactly? I've seen that mentioned in relation to discipline. I'll
mention that he is approx. 10 weeks old and is very gentle. When he gets riled
up he wrestles and snoops all around the room. When he gets tired he easily
 falls
asleep curled up on my shoulder, sometimes nuzzling my ears and up in my hair.

 As for feeding - I'll definitely go with the science diet mixed with maybe
Whiskas or another higher quality food. He has gotten his little paws on my
dogs Science Diet and munched on a bit of it. Speaking of the dog - Sadie
is a five year old Yorkshire Terrier from Yorkshire, England (In fact, James
Herriot signed her breeding papers - he's a wonderful man - we have friends
over there that we've visited and had a chance to meet him through them). Sadie
and (name to coined soon) seem to really enjoy romping around the house. The
dog doesn't seem the list bit upset about him and there play does not get
terribly rough (i.e., no biting, snarling, etc) so I assume everything is OK.
Any similar experiences?

 Well - that's all for the moment. I've really enjoyed reading some of the
stories and suggestions in recent issues and would like to thank everyone for
the information I have already gleaned from this wonderful mailing list.
I look forward to getting to know others and sharing stories and experiences
in the very near future!

 Thanks All!
 - Aaron Mahler
  Lynchburg, Va