From:
"R. Worthing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:05:41 -0500
>The Morris Family <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: MF Babies.....
>Dont your being a bit hard on the poor fuzzys that have the bad luck to be
>born at Marshalls?  Even if you and all us "ferret freindly" people stop
>buying from MF it wouldn't put a small dent in their buiesness - They sell
>mostly to "ferret stupid" people -

MF sells mostly to petshops NOT individual people.  That, therefore, makes
the petshops "stupid"... not the people who buy them.

I take great offense at lumping people together and calling them "stupid"
for buying a ferret at a pet store.  The ONLY reason I did not buy my first
ferret at a pet store was because I happened to learn that someone was
looking for a new home for theirs.  Had I not seen that ad and gone to a
pet store instead, would that have qualified me as stupid?  I would venture
to guess that most people DO get their first ferret from a pet shop or are
first exposed to ferrets in a pet shop.

>I try not to support mf & pet shops but
>when it comes to providing a innocent baby a home..... it's like the
>chance is probably 90% that some stupid person is going to buy the ferret
>and mistreat it and it will end up in a shelter so why not save them
>before they have to go through it.... Thus the reason I try to avoid even
>going by the pet shop!!

?????  First you say that "stupid" people buy ferrets from pet shops, then
you say that a stupid person is going to buy the ferret and it's going to
end up in a shelter anyway, and then you say, "Why not save them before
they go through it?" (do you mean buy it to save it from the "stupid"
people?), and then you say you try to AVOID the pet shop?  So, which is
it??  Do you buy ferrets from pet shops to save them from the "stupid"
people?  Does this not qualify you as "stupid", too?  Or do you avoid pet
stores?

>Anyway I know you are saying they shouldn't be breeding this defect - I
>feel any mass production of a living thing is wrong

Now THAT is a "stupid" statement.  What defect?  You haven't made ANY
reference to a "defect" up until now... and you attached it to your line
about "mass production" of a living thing.  If I wasn't so SMART I would
take it to mean that the ferrets themselves are the defect!

>But the poor ferrets are here

All ferrets are "poor"?  Seems to me most of them are spoiled rotten (mine
included) and live a pretty darn good life.

> - Nothing we can do about it but love 'em -

??  You imply that something should be "done" about them.

Yes, I realize I am picking this apart and "attacking" every line.  Not one
line of this post made any sense.  It was full of contradictions and worse,
it labeled people.  I, personally, will not tolerate any "labeling".  There
is so much hatred and racisim, bigotry, "phobias", and inequity in this
country and it's only propogated by statements like the ones you made.
Little "innocent" statements like yours are ALWAYS detrimental.  Some
people buy from pet shops because there are no shelters or "other breeders"
in their area.  This doesn't make them stupid.  Furthermore, there is a
difference between "stupid" and "unknowlegable".  How much did YOU know
about ferret care before you got your first one?  When you got your first
ferret, were you stupid or unknowlegable?  Maybe you did, in fact, take the
time to research and learn, but I'll bet that you learned alot more along
the way... you just haven't yet learned not to "label" people.

The Almost-Stupid- Fellow- FMLer -Who-is -Still-Learning,
Renee