From:
Kevin Farlee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 22:52:40 -0800
Greetings. I just got off the phone with Jennifer Brown, who's up at
Ferret City shelter helping out right now. There is still 4 feet of
water in the shelter, and it's not going down quickly. It's not a
matter of pumping it out of the building, because that's the level
all around. Getting from the cars to the house/shelter involves a trip
in a raft. No rebuilding can happen until the water recedes.

The better news: All the ferrets are safely in her house. She's down to
30-some ferrets now, and it's a fairly comfortable setup - i.e. things
are not overcrowded, and the numbers aren't a stress. The ferrets are
OK. Lacey is OK, but very very stressed. There is little money to even
think about replacing/rebuilding. I'm hoping that the wider ferret
community will come through on that front. For the immediate time,
things are OK, they've got food, litter, cleaning supplies, but they'll
need more stocks. It sounds like they've got enough to get through the
weekend and then some. I'll be trying to get enough there over the
weekend so that she'll be OK when some of us go back to work during
the week.

Tonight, they're stripping everything out of the shelter, and washing
it in the house (washer/dryer in the house still work fine,
thankfully).

She's put up a series of pictures of what things are like right now at
http://ferretcityshelter.org/flooddisaster.aspx

The page also has a list of needed items, gift cards, etc.

Kevin Farlee
Washington Ferret Rescue & Shelter