From:
"March, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 00:04:00 -0800
>Dogs and Ferrets - I'm concerned over the recent posts of how to handle dogs
>going after ferrets.  I'm also a little confused.  When we walk the fuzzies
>they are on a halter and leash....

The vast majority of dogs are not a problem, and I didn't mean to sound
"anti-dog".

But there's some bad ones out there; both pets and on occasion *humans* have
been injured or killed; in urban areas the rates are increasing.  Any adult
who has decided to take responsibility for their own protection needs to
know how to deal with a dog attack; ferret owners are overall even more
likely to face the problem.  I was once confronted with an entire feral pack
of 11 mutts (no fert involved), and I've had to deal with dogs wanting to
eat a fert twice now.

You mention scooping the ferret up pronto when a strange dog is around -
which is good advice, but it's possible that *won't* stop the dog.

You think that's bad?  In Calif the *Cougar* population is booming...one
adult lady jogger was recently *eaten* I kid you not.  In any animal attack
situation take a lesson from your ferrets, people: stand your ground and
fight, unless it's a bear!