From:
Charles Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 1997 18:30:09 -0700
Re the previously posted:
>From:    Lori Sies <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: WARNING WOOD STOVE PELLETS
>Ferret owner's be aware that Wood Stove Pellets may clog your ferret up if
>swallowed - it does not break apart and is not digestable like pine litters
>because it is made out of hard wood.  Please watch your ferrets carefully
>when switching litters...
>Ferret's Dream House
>Lori Sies [log in to unmask]

Sorry, Lori, but "Not break apart" ?  - I have trouble getting the pellets
to stay TOGETHER.  In my experience these pellets tend to break apart at the
least contact with water, though they do swell a bit in the process.  (So
they're like somewhat fatter rolls of damp sawdust.)

I suppose it depends on the brand of pellets you have... to be frank, I
don't know what woods are in the pellets I use (Stove Chow) but since they
are not aromatic in the slightest I didn't much care.  They do the job and
the ferrets neither eat nor play with them.

Now, if the ferret was to EAT one, sure, you might have a problem - if your
ferret has tendencies to eat small pellets that are obviously not food.  Our
cage has pellets in the litterbox, only, and the food is in a hanging bin -
so the chance of mixing is pretty small.  Compare that to the dust and smell
with standard litters...

I'll take this stuff over anything else out there....  your mileage may vary.

my opinion...
CJS