From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 18:50:17 -0500
>From:    tim fowler <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: jill in heat
>It would appear that i have singlehandedly caused a breakdown in Anglo
>American relations!
>
>The whole issue of jills in heat is obviosly very close to your hearts,
>even though 90% of you own spayed jills, and have no access 'whole' jills.
>... I am sorry if i have imflamed the otherwise quiet ferret keepers on
>this site, but i do belive in talking from expiriance.

Hi Tim--

I don't speak for anyone but myself, but as a former breeder and shelter, I
can tell you from first hand experience a jill can die of aplastic anemia
if not brought out of season properly or in time.  I took in a resuce with
a very late spay after being in season 3 wks or longer.  She was ill for 3
weeks and we hand fed her every 4 hrs around the clock.

She was an albino girl.  She was having seizures and her eyes were white.
My vet put her to sleep on an emergency basis.

I would always use a V-hob or hormone shot to bring one of my girls out of
season befroe allowing nature to take its course on this topic.

I still have most of my former breeders, all spayed now.  Working on
nuetering the boys next..  We kept all the sick and unadoptable rescues.
That leaves me with 5 ferrets over the age of 5, requiring careful
monitoring.

KG
Celtic Ferrets
Columbus, OH