From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 07:56:42 -0400
RE: Ferrets and screened porches post (sorry, with this FML processor I
can't easily retrieve the message to see who posted it)

Our crew *loves* the screened porch too.  We've placed a sandbox and their
favorite toys out there.  They all line up at the door every morning,
waiting for me to open it so they can go out and romp.

We did replace all of the "old" fiberglass screen with metal screen.
Ferret claws can cut through fiberglass screen like a hot knife through
soft butter - in mere seconds.  They have proven to me that they can even
get through the metal screen in a couple of hours of determined digging,
but have decided it's not worth it.  Even at that we keep close tabs on
them when they are out there, just in case.

Ferrets usually don't switch food to quickly, often preferring a food of
inferior quality to that of a better quality.  The bags will list the
protein and the major ingredients.  Look for 32% or greater protein on the
"analysis" list on the bag; and poultry as the first ingredient in the
other list.  Vegetables as the first ingredient is not a good sign.  That
means that the bulk of the protein comes from vegetables not meat.  Ferrets
have a hard time digesting vegetable proteins.  Sounds like you're doing
the right thing in your switching process.  Gradually add the new food and
keep increasing the percentage of new to old, over a period of weeks.

Dick B.