From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 07:36:04 -0400

>Now, I just need to contact FAIR - Trish (Ferrets1st) told me they have
>some excellent recipes for feeding ferrets with insulinoma.

Carla - the recipe is in the STAR* _FERRET CARE AND RESCUE_ book.

>From:    "marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: looking for experience

I am hoping those of you with ferrets and cats can help me with your
experience.  I am agonizing about getting a cat.

Read the article in the latest issue of Modern Ferret magazine - I talk in
depth about integrating cats and ferrets.

foods:

mixing - I recommend mixing 50% old with 50% new food(s) and then sealing
them in an airtight container for a few days to let the flavors "blend",
then serve.

odd looking food - whether it is strange looking TF or odd colored Prop
Plan, if you take a sniff, you can smell if the fat has gone rancid.  If
there is a lot of crumbly stuff, look for bugs.  If the ferrets eat it - it
is probably okay - their noses are better than ours.  ferrets and cats tend
no be cautious when eating, while a dog will eat anything offered that looks
like food....

getting a shelter ferret vs kit:

How can I justify bringing more ferrets into the world as a breeder when I
take in and have to find homes for around 150 adult ferrets a year as a
shelter?

Well, first off, the jills I mate have people wanting their kits before they
are born (usually).  These people are usually experienced ferret owners who
want a BIG ferret, one who has less of a chance with adrenal or other health
problems, and/or will live longer (I know this statement will cause a
ruckus).

Second, if a person says they have never had a ferret before, I usually
recommend they start with an established adult.  Then when I tell them I
sell my kits for three times what it costs to adopt an adult ferret, they
come to see the adults.  I can place adults (who I have altered and up on
distemper shots) much easier than my kits.  I'm also more "picky" about who
gets my kits.  I just don't sell to any breeder or anyone who wants to be a
breeder.  Most of my kits go as pets, despite their German backgrounds.  My
kits also sell for more than it costs to get a pet shop ferret in my area.

So why do I breed?  Because I am learning more about ferrets every day.  I
am learning if the European lines will live longer and healthier lives in
America than their US counterparts.  I am learning about conformation and
genetics.  I am learning about temperament, handling, and so many things.
Many people ask about breeding - I don't tell them "don't do it" because I
don't want the competition, I tell them no because there is a lot more to it
than meets the eye.  Ferrets are very different from other animal breeding.

One must know ferrets as pets before they can breed ferrets - and many
backyard breeders like the one in Kansas obviously did not know much about
his subject before getting in to deep.  I don't want to have to rescue
backyard projects, I already get enough ferrets in my shelter annually just
from dissillusioned owners.

>You are pretty much insulting ALL of us just because you have a different
>opinion.

I don't agree with this statement.  Everyone is entitled to their own
opinion, otherwise this would be a very boring world.  I am not insulted by
anyone agreeing to disagree.

Pam Grant / STAR*