From:
Heather Wojtowicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:55:50 -0400
Britney wrote yesterday about Family Pet Center in Holyoke,
Massachusetts.  Being from around that area, I've been on their case for
some time.  Here are some things I discovered about dealing with pet
stores in malls:

1. Mall management won't step in, at least not in the 2 cases I've been
involved in, but what they WILL do is put any letters of complaint
against a store into the store's lease file.  When the store's lease
comes up for renewal, too many letters of complaint from mall patrons can
keep them from getting their lease renewed.  In a mall like the Holyoke
Mall, where space is at a premium, a new store would go in in the blink
of an eye.  The mall would not lose much by kicking out the pet store and
bringing in a boutique.  So that is one way to keep them on their toes.
Write to the mall management and insist that the letter be placed in the
store's file.  CC the letter to the pet store's headquarters as well so
they can see that you mean business.

2. Call the store's main office and complain and LET THEM KNOW YOU HAVE
NOTIFIED THE MALL MANAGEMENT ABOUT YOUR COMPLAINT.  Their headquarters
will not like hearing that you are upset with their store and are being
vocal about it.  They also will not like to hear that you have complained
to the mall management.

3. Inform the local humane society and/or animal officer that a pet store
in their district is refusing to adequately feed its animals.  With
ferrets, it's easy to offer proof in the form of book excerpts and vet
recommendations that ferrets need to be fed continuously.  Heck, it says
right on the back of the Totally Ferret bag that ferrets should have
"free feed" at all times.

I'll be following up yet again on the Family Pet Center in Holyoke, and
I know there's been problems with one in Manchester, CT as well.  Anyone
else needing to take some action for ferrets in mall pet stores, one or
more of the above should at least get SOMEONE'S attention!

-Heather in Massachusetts