From:
june batz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 06:16:57 -0700
I recently subscribed to the ferret forum mailing list...The one thing I
noticed is how stringent the rules are with regards to the contents of a
posters "post" It really does not allow for any individualism, but there
are no flames..and I am sure fewer hurt feelings.  Of course it allows cute
postings about your ferrets, but you wont find anything like the Starship
raisinprize, or ferret poetry.  If people want strictly ferret information,
without all the color and diversity that the FML has to offer they should
go there.  I have noticed in the past year, a not so gradual incline in
tempers and opinions..maybe something in the water??  Sorry, I don't want
to trivialize it, because it does seem to be getting worse.  this list has
been around a long time..is this just a phase?

BIG...are the moods of your subscribers kinda cyclic?  Or are people just
getting more short tempered?  It really is easy to scroll pass posters that
offend you.  Once in the past year, I too have been guilty of lashing out
at a person, for which I regretted and apologised for..everyone here is a
wealth of information, cute stories...sad stories, I look forward to the
FML every day..I am going on vacation tomorrow, for a week..I will miss
reading the list..NOT as much as I will miss my babies though.  They are in
good hands with a knowledgeable house/pet sitter..YOU SHOULD SEE MY list of
instructions, a smaller version of War and Peace!  LOL Anyway, back to my
point, with such a cast of characters that subscribe here..and I mean that
in a nice way, we have to allow for opinions, thoughts and what not, we
don't have to agree or like it.  But the majority of us are ADULTS..some of
us are not acting like it...And I admit blame for myself..just my 2 cents..

June...probably not louis, and the zoo

[Moderator's note: Yes, subscribers' "moods" are somewhat cyclical, but
it's not really easy to predict.  The needs and wants of subscribers also
change over the years, though that seems to be a slower process.

There are many lists about ferrets.  While they differ somewhat with their
"rules" (if there are any at all), I found that for the most part all these
lists are there primarily for one thing: to help ferrets and ferret owners.
IMHO the ferret-forum does that quite well, as does the FML.  We do things
a little differently -- many people enjoy subscribing to both while other
people prefer one or the other.  We're lucky to have many well-run lists
about ferrets available.  Subscribe to them all if you have the time!  BIG]