From:
anneinchicago <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:35:03 -0500
First, follow Wolfy's lovely suggestions for dealing with a deaf
ferret. Flick the lights on and off when you come into the room and
you know she hasn't seen you, etc. etc.

Give her stuff to bite. Buy lots and lots of tiny stuffed toys and
whenever she tries to bite you, let her grab one of the toys instead.

And leave her alone. Seriously. Don't pick her up. Don't try to pet her
or kiss her. Just leave her alone. When she stalks you, ignore her. I
can already hear everyone either dismissing me or shaking their heads
in disbelief, but still- Leave her alone. Ignore her. God only knows
what has happened to her in the past, especially since she is deaf.
She's angry and she has a right to be. That's why I suggested the toys.
Let her tear them up, release that anger.

And by leaving her alone, you let her reclaim her space. Let her know
she doesn't have to be on the defensive because no one is going to
bother her. That she isn't going to have things happen she has no
control over. She may never be cuddly, but by letting her have her
space, she may eventually settle down into at least a reasonable
ferret.

anneinchicago