From:
Jeanne Carley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 22:45:14 -0400
HEARING ON DECISION ON COMMISSION OF AUTHORITY TO RULE ON FERRET ISSUE
RESERVED FOR NOV. MEETING IN TAHOE.

Pro-ferret forces thankfully got a postponement from the Commission on the
discussion of whether or not the Commission has the authority to remove
ferrets from the prohibited species list.

Floyd Carley and attorney Joe Kouri had a three way phone conference with
Deputy Attorney General Randy Christison during which strong arguments were
made for the postponement.  Ferret proponents were given less than 24 hours
notice by mail to prepare a legal response to whether or not the Commission
can legally deal with the ferret question.

The issue came to my attention when I asked Jan Goldsmith's office if they
knew what DFG was up to regarding the agenda item.  Documents faxed to me
from that office revealed plans hatching to persuade the Commission that
they lacked the authority to remove the ban on ferrets by reclassify ferrets
from wild to domesticated.

I immediately called Dick Schumacher, current and continuing CVMA Executive
Director (rumors to the contrary notwithstanding), and he suggested that we
try our best to delay the hearing.  Phone calls were placed to both Mr.
Christison and Bob Treanor and the decision was made to delay the issue
giving ferret proponents time to make their legal arguments.

It looks like we have the help of a professional Environmental law firm on
the CEQA issue, and I'm in the process of trying to enlist their help in this
arena as well.  We need the arguments to be made by experts in this field,
and it looks like we have the financial backing to be able to enlist their
help.

Jeanne Carley
Ferret Legalization Coordinator