From:
David Minette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 00:41:56 -0700
My carpet sharks have made a career out of leepiing from furnature onto the
coffee table (first time I heard a ferret squeek was when Feasty found my
hot tea and tipped it over.  Not too much damage done, though he HAS left
hot liquids alone since then...).  The best incident was when I was
stringing an Navaho necklace, complete with silver beads.  Bear did his
flying thing and decided the quart size zip lock baggy full of silver beads
belonged in the FLO trashery, er.... treasury.  Bear is a 2 pound ferret, a
quart baggy of silver beads weighs on at around 10 pounds.  I had good fun
watching the tug of war as he manuevered the beads toward the edge.  First
he backed off the table, a tried and true method for getting heavy object of
countertops, but when he backed over the edge, the bag refused to go:
result, a ferret dangling in mid air, teeth firmly attached to a bag of
beads.  Trial number two, he bit into the bag and with ferret persistance
wiggled it closer and closer to edge.  Suddenly, gravity took over and the
bag slid off the table top, dragging a veeeeeery surprised ferret along with
it.  For just a split second Bear, feet splayed out and sheer desperation
shining in his eyes, managed to stop the fall.  Gravity won outh dragging
beads and Bear into the abyss.  DOOK DOOK DOOK DOOK DOOK!!!!  Im not sure
whether he was swearing at the beads, swearing at himself, or swearing at us
for laughing at him.

Bear USED to like to drink wine, until he found half a glass of unattended
red wine.  He crawled off to sleep it off, and we of course kept looking in
on him to make sure he was all right.  About 3 hours later, the signs of a
major hangover began appearing (and us still looking in on him, which I'm
sure didn't help him one bit).  Ever seen a hung over fert?  Truly heart
ache-ingly pathetic.  He hasn't touched a drop since.

FAVORITE GAME: show your ferts a raisin (let 'em get real excited) then drop
the raisin into a large cardboard box full of styrofoam peanuts.  Let em
jump in and hunt.  Watch the raisin and them sink out of sight.  Root Root
Root Nudge Nudge Nudge Fight Fight Fight.  They LOOOOOOVE this game!

David M.