From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 15:24:18 +0400
Thanks to a poster on alt.pets.ferrets, I've now tried the toothpaste trick
as a deterrent to getting bitten.

I walked into a pet store with flyers for the upcoming Boston frolic, and
walked out with two ferrets that the store couldn't handle because they were
"horrible biters".  They're laying over at my house a couple of days until I
can get them their first distemper shots and into a foster home for rehab.

Let them out this morning to stretch their legs.  Smeared toothpaste
(bargain-brand green paste) all over my hands and arms.  They were okay at
first (aren't they always?), then started getting riled up as they felt
more comfortable in the new surroundings.

One bites in play.  The other bites when she thinks she's being hassled and
has learned that if she bites, she will be left alone.  But basically, they
bite because no one has taught them not to bite.  They're a year old.

The shop people told me that when they bit, they clamped down and held on,
drawing blood.  Well, they did bite me, but did not hold on very tightly--
just kind of mouthing and release, no broken skin.  They kept their tongues
and lips curled back.  It really seemed like they didn't want a taste of the
toothpaste.  If that was the case, then this stuff works well enough.

At any rate, it let me be braver about the whole procedure.  It's a lot
easier to scruff and control a ferret when you're not wearing gloves.

They were really shocked when I scruffed them and hissed.  No one had ever
done that to them before, at least not since their mamas.  Bless their
hearts, they KEPT ON being shocked for about an hour as I had to keep
repeating the lesson.

So, is it the wintergreen that they don't like?  Wonder if my Dr Bronner's
peppermint soap will also do the trick--the toothpaste really feels kinda
yucky.

It was really nice to see them play and explore and dance and dook,
just like little ferrets.

-- Lee, one of the Massachusetts Ferret Friends