From:
Tanya M Vestal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 1996 11:03:42 -0600
Hello!  I just joined the group, and thought I'd introduce myself.  I'm a
graduate student in Zoology at North Dakota State University - my husband is
in Geologic Engineering, so we have very little free time, and even less
money!  We are owned by two ferrets, Bongo, a.k.a.  "The Stinky Slinky", and
Boomer.  Boomer has no nickname - his real name was very aptly chosen!
Bongo just turned 3, and Boomer will soon be 1.  They are both extremely
healthy.  After reading other posts, I realized what a blessing it is that
they are.  It would be awful if one of them got sick - my heart and prayers
go out to anyone with a sick fuzzie.  Both of them are also very
well-behaved (relatively speaking).  Bongo bit a vet once while getting her
shots, and the only danger from Boomer is that he may lick you to death!
After reading other posts, I was surprised to learn that other ferrets are
obsessed with film cans - Boomer will try for DAYS to get at ours.  He
stores them, along with all of his other treasures, under our bed, and boy,
will you get chewed out if you move them!  Someone (didn't get the name -
sorry!) mentioned tail-wagging.  Both of ours will do it when they're
playing - much like cats wag theirs right before they pounce.  We have a
large throw rug in the living room, and it's just perfect for ferret
tunnels.  Bongo will wag her tail just before she dives under the rug, and
Boomer wags his right before he attacks.  One of his favorite games is to
hide in the doorway of a dark room, and when we walk by, he jumps out and
ambushes us.  Having a chuckling, squeaking ferret jump up and attach
himself to your leg can be quite a surprise when you're not expecting it!
Boomer, of course, thinks he is very clever when he does this.  Someone else
wondered how ferrets cool themselves off.  I don't know if it has any
physiological advantage or not, but Bongo will flop down on the ground and
pant if she's hot - like when they're playing in the park.

Now, I have some questions of my own.  Boomer has figured out how to open
the cupboard doors in the kitchen, and there are cleaners and detergents
down there I don't want him in, especially since for some reason he likes to
eat soap.  We have repellant spray that works on Bongo - she hates it.  But
Boomer could care less if you spray it or not.  He knows darn well he's not
supposed to be in there, but he plays in there anyway.  I don't appreciate
fur in my pots and pans?  Any suggestions on how to keep him out?  Also,
Boomer has a taste for the elastic in socks - he eats it.  Anyone else ever
run into this?

Sorry this is so long - you all know how easy it is to talk about these
fuzzy buggers!

Tanya Vestal
Bongo "The Stinky Slinky"
Boomer "Garbage Gut"