From:
"Beth C. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 17:44:55 EDT
Hi everyone. I have been lurking for a while.. but I want to come out of
hiding to share this story....

I work at a vet's office where we treat ferrets, and we all love them.
That will help you understand why, when one of my co-workers told us this
ferret story, we all really got a kick out of it.  I hope all of you will
too.  My freind was at the beach one day last week when a crowd started to
gather at the edge of the shore, people yelling and peering into the water.
Of course she couldn't resist the temptation and joined them at the waters
edge.  Everyone was looking at this strange long body in the water, and were
all tryihng to guess what in the world it might be.  People were saying it
was a seal..  an otter...a sunfish..  and on and on.  Finally someone yells
out "ferret!" This little kid appears out from behind my friend (he is
completely by the way..  electric blue..  and those of you who have heard
about the new colored sunblock will understand how blue) and starts yelling
it's a ferret.  Suddenly he calms down and all matter-of-factly starts to
say "Oh, it's a ferret, I know about ferrets you know." My friend just
looked at him as he continued to tell the whole crowd of people all about
ferrets, and being only about 6, no one really considered him credible, and
those who knew about or owned them just laughed at some of the things he
said.  Finally this thing swims to shore and comes onto the beach.  It
probably had green slime disease by the looks of it.  The kid reaches for it
when my friend steps in and grabs him, his mother no where to be seen.  This
little thing slinked off into the woods, with the kid trying to follow him,
saying the whole way "Some ferrets bite, and some don't, This one won't."
The crowd dispersed and the incident was forgotton except for my friend who
now had to locate this kids mother.  Anyway, she found her and dropped him
off... and then told everyone she knew about it.  And for those of you who
will flame me for saying this is funny... and I know that some of you will
(which is fine... different sense of humor) I will add this... Ladies and
Gentlemen... when you buy a ferret please understand the responsibilty of
having these pets... and please... do not allow them to run free on beaches
with blue children.