From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 08:07:52 -0500
To Rebecca:

Ferrets don't seem to like to try new foods readily.  This applies to treats
as well.  I have an 8 year old who has never eaten a raisin and I don't
really believe in forcing them if they don't want it.

I tend to stay away from sugary treats - cereals, fruit, raisins, candy,
etc.  What I give them is chicken baby food with crushed up dry food.  This
is the healthiest 'treat' you can give them - IMO - and it gets your ferret
used to baby food - BEFORE he/she gets sick.  Baby food is about one of the
best and easiest food to give to a sick ferret - however, if they aren't
used to eating it when they are well, you'll have a tough if not almost
impossible time when they're sick.

Put a small amount of baby food on your finger and hold it up to your
ferret's face.  If he's willing to lick it off, he realize it tastes good,
and he after a couple more licks off your finger, he should be willing to
eat it off the dish.  If he doesn't try it, then smear it on his lips.
Again, after he's tasted it and realizes it's not bad stuff, he should be
ready to eat right out of the dish.

This same method can be applied to fruits/raisins as well.  Break open the
raisin so he can taste the inside - you may want to put a little Ferretone
on the raisin and see if he'll accept it that way.  But I never forced
fruits and raisins when I used to give them.  If they really didn't want
them, I wouldn't push it.  Hmmmmm......looks like those guys had the right
idea after all.

Everybody gets baby food with crushed up Totally Ferret about once a week
here.  Once a week makes it feel like a real 'treat' to them, and it keeps
the memory of how good baby food is fresh in their minds!

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Western New York and Finger Lakes
   Ferret Association