From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 1995 13:07:00 EDT
I'm sorry for the delay, there were some background issues that had to be
resolved (THANKS for creating the maildrop, BIG).  The lifespan data
collection will begin in a couple days when I complete the survey format.
I want to make it EZ for you to reply to and for me to compile .  (Merci
beaucoup, Anne Charbonneau.  Je vais employer votre bonne idee.  C'est une
plus facile moyen de rechercher.) I would also like to thank Linda Doran
(and whoever else contributed) for the survey posted.  I got some new ideas
based on the reactions.

I want to mention a few things to stimulate the interest.  Mason Weinrich
stated the possibility of a leftward skew of the data because of the age of
FML people.  Rob Trousdale added that an exponential distribution may be a
better fit than the normal bell curve.  Both are valid theories, but these
two shapes are mutually exclusive.  I think that the variability may be
extremely large.  If this is correct, it will make determining the benefits
of late neutering or breeder origin difficult unless the difference is
great and/or the size of the data pool is large.  The possibility that a
difference may show is there too.  In short, there are many questions that
can be answered and new ones may be raised once the data is in.  (I hate
"data are")

None of this can be possible without YOU.  A loss you had can add to a
common good and knowledge; you may find it therapeutic to participate.
There is also that frequent comment "gee these ferrets seem to get sick a
lot" that a plot of lifespans will graphically refute.   Please watch for
the survey in a few days and add your 2 cents (thanks to Chris Hanlon &
Erika Matulich for already getting theirs in)!

           Til next time...............Rudy the ferlosopher