From:
Nancy Winter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 20:41:35 -0700
Ferrets dig at couches trying to get into a nice DARK hidey hole. If
you provide plenty of alternatives they will eventually prefer those. I
have had much experience in this area :) There are many, many ways to
create these dark areas but the darker they are the more popular they
will be to the ferrets. I have a ferret cage on the floor completely
covered in Black fleece fabric with the door just left open and they
love it in there. Also they have places under bottom drawers where it's
dark. Any type of box with a hole in it covered in dark fleece full of
bedding works. I have a cedar chest type box that I cut a 3&1/2 inch
hole in the side and hung a black flap over hole so no light gets in.
I filled it with sleeping bags and I can just open the lid to find
sleeping ferrets inside. If your ferrets have a human bed they go under
you can make a light proof bedskirt by putting a large (or maybe two)
black or navy light proof blankets between the boxsprings and mattress
to hang down to the floor on all sides.

Providing access to the completely dark areas will not only protect
your couch it will prevent overstimulation to the adrenal glands
greatly reducing incidence of adrenal disease too!

Nancy Winter