From:
Mark Teskey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 08:42:30 -0500
Several weeks ago I asked for advice about introducing my new ferret I had
adopted to Freddie my 6 month old kit.  I wanted to thank all those who
sent me e-mails relating their experiences.  It has been very helpful and
encouraging and I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately my new boy, Buddy whose between 2 1/2 and 3 years old began
showing signs of ECE shortly after that.  I tool a stool sample to the vet
and she confirmed it so I've been very busy with treating him.  He seems to
be past the worst part of it as his stools are looking "better".  No more
of the green and yellow stuff for several days now.  He's acting pretty
good but still won't eat food or drink water on his own.  I'm giving him
all the standard high nutrient foods along with antibiotics and the
subcutaneous fluid injections.

Unfortunately I've had to keep him separated from Freddie although Freddie
may be who he got it from.  I had Freddie for about 2 months before getting
Buddy and he had shown no signs of ECE but my vet has said that doesn't
mean much, he could still have been carrying it.  I'm not really sure how
long I can/should keep them separated.  I think that "officially" the
quarantine is for 6 months after no more signs of ECE but that's going to
be pretty difficult.  Also if Freddie was the carrier I assume it doesn't
matter.  And if he wasn't would it be better to expose him to it now while
he's still very young and will get it through it easier?

Thanks for the support!