From:
ShariDiane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 23:05:22 EST
[log in to unmask] responded about the need to *first* get a sick ferret to a
vet rather than emailing the FML (parapharsing).

Several FMLers responded *not so* (paraphrasing).

I think Scott's original suggestion was that we (would/should) consult with
a *qualified* ferret vet for immediate diagnosis.  Obviously, some of us are
not privileged to know ferret vets.  How does one know a knowledgeable vet?
Check out Pam Troutman's vet list at STAR* Ferrets on Ferret Central or
contact your local ferret club or shelter (through STAR* Ferrets).

Before you have a ferret emergency, call your vet and ask who is the after
hours emergency contact for ferret care.  Also, call your After Hours
Emergency Care Facility in your area and ask if they treat ferrets (many
do not).  If you have a House Calls Vet Service in your area (look in your
phone book), call and ask each one if they treat ferrets.

Most of you have not been in an *after hours* emergency...let's pretend you
are: Your ferret accidently laps up spilt Liquid Shout laundry detergent on
the floor...he starts gagging and throwing up...you call the 800# for Poison
Control for advice (do you have that # on your fridge?), you rush your
ferret to the After Hours Clinic and they keep him/her overnight in case
he/her snuffed up the poison into his/her lungs.

My friends were lucky...Charlie survived.  What will you do with your
ferret?

Shari Gunter