From:
Ashley Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:16:53 -0500
First of all, a huge "thank you" from Romsca a.k.a. Rossie (my sick
ferret), Rosa (Rossie's partner in crime) and I, to all of you who
shared experiences and offered advice.  Your advice was more accurate
than my vet's.

Yesterday evening, we took Romsca to a different, more ferret experienced
vet.  This vet believes that it is not Rossie's kidneys, but an enlarged
spleen and liver, due to adrenal problems.  To me, this is much better
than two weeks to live.

Romsca is not to be taking any laisex, but will take 1 ml of pedia
prednisone daily and injection of lupron once a month.  The vet wants to
see how she responds to Lupron before thinking about any kind of surgery.
She won't get the Lupron injection until Thursday or Friday.

The vet also suggested a different diet for Romsca.  Her PMI ferret food
will be replaced with Totally Ferret and she is to have 1 teaspoon of
FerretVite a day.  The vet thought it would be good to give her cottage
cheese, too.  Romsca didn't have any problem with Totally Ferret or
FerretVite food, and actually ate it faster than her regular food.  Thank
goodness, she still has a good appetite (knock on wood), she begs for
colored mini-marshmallows, peanut butter, raisins, and instant Quaker's
oatmeal, along with eating some cat food.  Romsca also drinks plenty of
water, I have to fill the dish a few times a day.

I've kind of rambled, but I wanted to let everyone know.  If there are
changes in Romsca's health, I'll let you all know.  Thank you again to
everyone who replied.  For critter death sentences, always get a second
opinion.  If you're planning on taking your ferret to Mt.  Rock Animal
Hospital in Shippensburg, take him/her to Best Friends instead (not to
trash them, but for your critter's sake).

With love & a lighter heart, (I know we're not out of the woods, but....)

Ashley & the be-bop-eroos, Romsca & Rosa