From:
Gilbert Le Cren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 19:58:22 -0800
Greetings from the Great NorthWest.

This is Sandy Streit reporting good news.  On Oct 29th, a public hearing was
held about the proposed changes to animal control ordinances.  The ferret
community had a large turnout.  I didn't get a headcount, but I'd estimate
20 ferret owners showed up.  We were easy to spot.  Ferret t-shirts and
photos was the uniform of the day.  A toy erret was part of our group.  Also
present was Dr Kimber Brawley and Dr Mark Burgess, veternarians, to speak on
our behalf.

Prior to the hearing, we reviewed the latest version of the ordinance.  We
were overjoyed to see the controversial clause that could have outlawed
ferrets, potbellied pigs and other companion pets, was deleted from the
ordinance.  This means that the commissioners weren't out to outlaw ferrets.
Ferrets would remain legal in Multomah County.

Since this hearing was an opportunity to educate the public, Carla Almarez,
a member of the Oregon Ferret Assoc, testified.  The commissioners reassured
us that ferrets weren't on the list--the intent of the new law is to
eliminate "inherently dangerous" animals from the county.

I heard today the new law was passed by the county commissioners.  The guy
who started this whole controversy, owns a Siberian Tiger.  He will have to
move his cat out of town.  His neighbors were afraid it would get loose and
eat children.