From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 1998 08:36:03 -0400
>From:    kathryn terhune-cotton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Companion's Choice Ferret Food   ??
>... Several things that all seem to be in agreement on as to the "ideal"
>ferret food: The first three ingredients should be meat; corn is difficult
>for a ferret to digest - not recommended; fish is for mink, not so great
>for ferrets.

I watched a video of a talk by Dr. Willard (Totally Ferret) yesterday and
unless I'm reading my notes wrong, what you said about corn is not totally
accurate and not what most of us have generally accepted as gospel.

On the topic of carbohydrates, he discussed the two types... fiber and
starch.  When it came to starch, he stated that corn should be the second
or third ingredient on the list and it is "...highly digestible in most
animals, including the ferret, but only in the cooked state." Pelleted food
is not subjected to enough heat while extruded food (Totally Ferret, among
others) is.  He said, "These cooked starches are called soluble
carbohydrates and they supply energy which is used in all the various body
activities."

Just my observations.  I make no claims of being a nutrition expert.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
*
* Visit our web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org