From:
christine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 06:23:23 -0700
I've read all the posts and the political pros and cons of rescuing
hoarded ferrets.I've read many ideas on how ,what should be done, what
should be done with the horders themselves etc..

It is true that the rescue community..  be it focused on cats, dogs,
ferrets or birds..  is stuck cleaning up the mess these people make.
BUT, hoarding cannot be either perpetuated or prevented by a rescue
community.  Hoarding is a mental illness.People who have the uncontrolled
urge to hoard,abuse,neglect are crazy.  Having said that, I still have no
sympathy for someone who hoardes.

An example of how crazy, is that Di bachman has hidden breeding ferrets
despite the horrors of her garage.She lacks the emotional connections to
realize just how horrible those conditions are for other beings.  She
has a screw loose.

Many horders,once bailed out by a resuce community go on to do it again..
i.e. , The Florida hoarder wishing to open a wildlife perserve.  What do
you think would have eventually happened to the wildlife?.. and who would
be stuck cleaning up that mess?.

It is a resuce communitys bussiness to rescue.What to do with these
sick people is another matter.How to prevent hoarding is a whole other
subject.  You can reason with these people and they don't hear you.

Two months ago in New York the humane society was called to a house by
neighbors.  The homeowner had almost 100 dogs in the house.  Some were
decomposed on the floors.  The house was so full of amonia , the resucers
wore hazmat suits to go in.The dogs were sick,dehydrated,starved,filthy,
and frightened.This man had actually moved out of his house, it was so
contaminated.He used to come and visit the dogs.  He had been bailed out
of a similar situation years before.

These are not the acts of a rational human being.THIS TIME the man in
question was sentenced to psychiatry to prevent another repeat
performance of this tragedy.Sure as shooting, these people are repeat
offenders.,just as Di bachman kept breeders with (supposedly) plans to
open her little shop of horrors elsewhere.

I still have NO sympathy for horders.It is a good thing I cannot get my
hands on the likes of Di bachman and the Florida hoarder.

But for all armchair quarterbacks, of which I am one here, .. do a
rescue of this magnitude before you criticise..

Christine

Twilight girls Art pages
Smiling squeezles weasels pages