Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2014 14:27:22 -0400
Hi Everyone,

Sadly, on top of Xena's problems (IBD, adrenal disease and insulinoma),
I just found out that Spooky has insulinoma too.

Re Carafate: Does anyone know definitively what carafate is for and
when to administer it? My vet finally gave me some. I had complained
some time ago that the omeprazole he had given me to protect Xena's
stomach made her sick (though he doesn't believe it was from that med).

He said carafate does not prevent ulcers but rather was used to treat
ulcers that already existed. He told me to give it to them either an
hour before or after they get the prednisolone.

Re: Melatonin: my vet doesn't believe there's any good evidence that it
works, but I am going to try to convince him to give Xena an implant
because she has been losing hair. She got her second deslorelin implant
in May. I had it put in for prevention, but she may have already had
adrenal disease.

Is there any place I could get the melatonin implant myself without a
prescription? I think he might be more amenable to inserting it if I
bring it in. The Humane Society of New York where I go is insanely
busy all the time and very short-staffed.

Thanks for any info. I can't go to FHL to ask these questions because
I don't have a yahoo email address anymore (long story).

I wish the best for all of you and your ferrets.

Shron