Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 09:21:27 EDT
Hello to all!

Thoughts, prayers, and heartfelt sympathy to all with sick, lost, or
departed loved ones.

Since the loss of my beloved Nosey a couple of weeks ago, I had the
realization hit me that my babies are now all geriatric!  Bubbles, my
lovely albino, is six and a half now.  She had adrenal surgery in 1999.
Pepper is six years old, a dark sable, who also had adrenal surgery in
1999.  They both came through it just fine.  If anything, their fur grew
back in even softer than before.  My vet at the time told me that their
life expectancy might be a bit lower since they had to have adrenal
surgery at such a young age.  Then there is my Sneezy, a light sable, my
first ferret.  She is also six.  She and Pepper were cage mates at the
store where my son and his girlfriend purchased them.  Sneezy has been a
fairly healthy ferret, if a bit on the "rotund" side! <G>  Only problem
she has had was several years ago she had a touch of anemia for some
reason.  Medication helped that and there has been no signs of it
returning.  I rescued Pepper and Sneezy (can you say "stole") them from
my son and his girlfriend.  They really didn't have the time or the
money to take care of them.  They didn't have the knowledge either.  And
neither did I!  If it hadn't been for discovering the FML and reading and
researching the archives for help and information, I shudder to think what
would have happened to them!  Bubbles was a gift from a friend who kind of
sheltered ferrets.  Bubbles needed a lot of individual love and attention.
To this day, she is my girl.

In my long and rambling conversation here, I need information once again.
With my babies as old as they are, I want to make sure I am doing what is
needed for ferrets their age.  Such as, do I need to change anything I am
feeding them?  They get a mix of Kay-tee, Shepard and Green, and Iams
kitten chow.  I haven't had a problem with that mix, but wanted to know
if I need to change anything since I am sure their dietary requirements
have or will change.  Also, call it being paranoid, but since I have lost
two babies this year to insulinoma (they were the young ones of the crew,
both under 5 years old) I am concerned about doing anything that would
put stress on them.  I take them out in the yard to play, with direct
supervision, on evenings when it has cooled off a bit.  Bubbles bounces
and plays like a kit!  The other two enjoy their time out there as well,
but Bubbles is unbelievable to watch!  BTW, I do have a great vet here
who has helped me so much in the difficult times I have had.  Can't say
enough about the clinic I go to.  I would just appreciate so much any
input from those of you that have older ferrets.  What I should look out
for, what I might need to change in their daily lives.  Also, is there
any problem with them getting their shots?  I want to be an informed
ferret-owned mom at this time of their lives.  I want my girls to have
the best with the time they have left.  So sorry for the long post.
Thank you Bill for taking care of this great list!  You are much
appreciated.

Barbara
Sneezy, Pepper, and Bubbles
Rainbow kids - Nosey, Rosey, and Rascal