Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2012 22:27:24 -0800
Some people could be distracted by the labeling of this system as
"Endocannabinoid" (eCB) and would immediately jump to the marijuana.
That's why I encouraged the readers to do their own research. Break
down the word into its parts you'll discover that "endo" means "within"
and "Cannabinoid" means LIKE cannabis. So in simple terms (sans
scientific mumbo jumbo) it means the organism creates chemicals that
MIMIC the effects of actual CANNABIS. It probably would have been more
beneficial to label this system the "Endoeuphoric" system or even the
"my happy place" system.

Moving past the stoner's views; what is interesting is how this system
IS tied to the digestive as well as other systems and how they are
intertwined. Because of these euphoric sensations it is easy to see
how addicts can forego natural actions in order to satisfy or prolong
the happy happy joy joy feelings.

So far from what I've been reading ferrets DO have an eCB system but
research done with them relates to nausea and emesis (vomiting) and
ways to prevent it for humans suffering from motion sickness. Research
regarding the EC system and digestion as well as other endocrine
systems HAS been done in mice and rats and this interesting abstract
reveals findings regarding insulin, beta cells and islets (found in
the pancreas) for mice:

Source
Diabetes Research
Group, King's College London, London, UK.

Abstract
The endocannabinoid system plays a key role in energy homeostasis, with
agonists and antagonists of CB1 receptors acting centrally to stimulate
and inhibit food intake, respectively. In addition to their established
effects on the central nervous system, cannabinoid receptor agonists
also exert peripheral effects by modulating cellular cyclic AMP and
calcium levels and there have been reports that they regulate
[beta]-cell function. However, the few reports to date on islet
expression of cannabinoid receptors and effects of agonists on insulin
secretion have failed to reach a consensus. We have therefore
investigated cannabinoid receptor expression by mouse islet [beta]-and
[alpha]-cells and the effects of selective receptor agonists on cyclic
AMP and calcium levels, and on dynamic insulin secretory responses. CB1
and CB2 mRNA and protein expression by islets was detected by RT-PCR
and western blotting respectively, and cellular location of the
receptors was identified by immunohistochemistry with insulin and
glucagon antibody co-staining. Cyclic AMP generation was quantified
by enzyme immunoassay and changes in calcium levels were measured by
microfluorimetry of Fura-2-loaded mouse islet cells. Dynamic insulin
secretion was quantified by radioimmunoassay after perifusion of
isolated islets. We found that mouse islets expressed both CB1 and
CB2 receptors, and they were localised to [beta]-cells.

From here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21099327

The other thing that people need to read is how the eCB system affects
not JUST food intake but also OTHER endocrine (hormonal) systems and
stress management pathways. So when our ferrets get altered so early
just what is happening to the eCB system?

Check out this link for eCB and stress:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21663537

This link here shows the eCB's wide ranging influence for the body:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16306385

Push past the poor labeling, read the abstracts, open the side links
and see how constantly pumping the addictive foods to the ferret
wreaks havoc upon the little critter! Its not a "leap" at all.

Cheers,
Kim

please visit:
for ferret help and info: