Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 21:31:24 EST
Hi all,

I've got a friend with a ferret whose liver enzymes are a mess.  He had
a lymphoma (my vet now is not sure it was lymphoma even though the
pathologist-- not our renown Bruce Williams-- removed from his stomach
over a year ago (I think it was August) and recent bloodwork shows a
liver enzyme for the ALT of 600 (mean is 119 according to the vet) and
the AST is 156 (high end of normal is 119 again according to the vet).

He has confirmed adrenal disease and was going to have surgery but my
friend fears cancer (he was put on a dose of amoxy for 14 days in case
there was some kind of liver infection but the enzymes rose rather than
fell).  Since the adrenal surgery is an arm and a leg here (possibly over
$800.00) she doesn't want to do the surgery on an animal she might lose
soon to lymphoma.

I know this is a better post for the ferret health list so hopefully
there's someone out there that can pass it along for me-- or give me
the address.  Please have anyone who knows anything about what might
possilby cause these insane liver enzyme levels e-mail me directly at
[log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]  Much as I adore the
FML, I get so much internet mail that I don't have time for it :(

Thanks so much in advance,
Jeanne Carley

[I sent FHL info to her.  BIG]