From:
Helen Andersson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 1994 11:04:51 PDT
Michelle,

About moving with ferrets, I've moved about 3 times
with my ferret during the past 4 years and every
time she seems to forget everything about litter-box
behavior. So more or less I had to start all over again.
The second time I moved I let her run free in all of the
appartment from the very first time since she behavied
very well in the first appartment, but she started to use
not 1 place for her dues I think she had about 10 places
but once she choosed them it was impossible to change
her habit even if I later started to reduce her space.
Otherwise she seems to enjoy moving and already after
a few days she settled in completly.

Hunting,

At one time I had a lot of problems with mice in the
appartment and I hoped that my ferret Wilma would help
me out with this, cause I really dont like putting poisson
and stuff like that around my place. At first she didn't
even see them or more or less she didn't bother. Then at one
stage there was a little mouse sitting in the middle of the
living room and Wilma happened to be around so she walks
straight up towards the mouse with absolutly no attack
strategy at all of course the mouse disappears within a millisecond
leaving my ferreet looking very confused as if she was thinking
"did I dream this or what". This kind of things was going on
for a while until one day I heard something screaming in the
kitchen, I ran out and I found Wilma with a mouse in her mouth
both in a bucket. After that she became better and better at this
and after a while I had to check her hiding places everyday for
dead mices. But she never tried to hunt anything else like dogs
or cats, she still likes them a lot.
FYI, we dont have any mice problems anymore

Helen & Wilma