From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 17:47:37 EST
>I've never given a lot of thought to these statements but after seeing
>similar posts on the FML I'm starting to wonder.  I wonder why, when we
>were doing everything wrong "according to today's beliefs", it seems that
>our ferrets lived longer and healthier lives than they seem to be doing
>today!!  Is it just coincidence or is there something that we're missing
>or overlooking?
>
> Barb Gustafson

Hi Barb ~

I really think we are missing something in the area of food.  We use the
phrase "you are what you eat" in our office.  With our food supply in
such bad shape (detailed in an earlier post), it makes sense that what
we feed ourselves as well as our pets has declined if we purchase
commercially prepared foods.  Houdini lived to be 12, on the pink box of
friskies dry food, and tinned cat food.  He never had a surgery.  I can
only guess, again, that food additives, hormones for growth and to lay
down fat, and antibiotics given our animals has so increased in the past
20 years, that our meat industry is compromised here in the US.  So I'm
still trying to come up with a mix of natural foods and commerecial that
my finicky eaters will go for.

I liked Betty's post on other health factors, and totally agree on the
need for adequate exercise for our fuzzies.  So what is adequate?  I
think, as Betty said, it may differ for each animal.  So what one of
us does may not be right for another.  What one set of fuzzies will eat,
may not be the same as mine will eat, etc.......it would be wonderful
though to see less cancers, surgeries and other fuzzy diseases.

Warmly ~
Mary
Herbalist
The Conley Farm - organic herbs