Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 17:17:50 EDT
>From:    Laurie Long <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Food - shelter - Pet stores don't have a clue

>I got a call from a pet store yesterday.  Can I please come & get these
>ferrets (3) they are OUT OF CONTROL. <SNIP>  Got them home - 2 whole boys,
>1 whole girl - maybe 3 1/2 - 4 months old.

What is a pet store doing with whole ferrets?  Isn't that against USDA
regulations?  I was told by my USDA rep that all ferrets in pet stores have
to be spayed/neutered & descented.  Did he not know what he was talking
about?  If he is right, can't this store (& possibly the breeder) get fined
- even if not USDA licensed?  What about at state levels?

>From:    Lorraine Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Waaay too thin in Erie, PA

Take your girl to Joel Schiff at Wise Owl in Southgate, MI.  His number is
734-246-WISE.  We drive over an hour one way just to go to him (many others
do this too - including people from OH).  He is very good with ferrets - as
you may recall he helped Becki Kain (sp?) with her ill furry a while back.
He is so good I can give him symptoms over the phone & he can tell me right
away what he thinks it is.  A trip in to him confirms his beliefs.  He is
really busy, so if you book an appointment, specify that you want him
personally to look at your girl.  If possible bring test results from the
other vet, what was prescribed, and what actions were taken.

>From:    meagan quinn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: tears and fears
>yes, there is still coccidia in on e of the brats.  <SNIP> fezzik has had
>it the longest and he seems to get a new bout of mush poopies when ever i
>am running more than a few hours late on his once daily dose of albon.
>wierd.  the others aren't really like that...

Sounds to me like he is still seriously sick.  No matter what you must keep
him separated from your others.  He can re-infect them - even on Albon.
Wash all of your litter pans & poop scoops (even your guys that are well) in
a bleach & water solution (rinse very well) & wash your hands between
holding them.  This is very important if you want to get rid of this!

To fatten your guys up, feed them one of the many Duck Soup recipes that are
found on the FAQ or from Timmy's Page.  Oh - to everybody - it may be a good
idea to give some duck soup as a treat so you know your furries will eat it
when they really need it

>From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: BOB C: Q-N-A
>20) Pam (or other spray vegetable oil).  Spray the bottom of your litter
>box or cage tray, and even dried poopie comes off with a wipe.  Makes
>cleaning up the runs a cinch.  The secret to my clean cages, so don't tell
>anyone.

Bob, does it rust cage bars?  Does it dry & still produce the non-stick
effect?

Also how about duct tape - you may need it for a quick cage repair, water
bottle leak, etc.

How about wire cutters?  Just incase somebody gets caught or a wire is
damaged or poking out.

Regular scissors?  Good for cutting bandages, bedding material, etc.