From:
CGarcia737 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 16:57:50 EST
First, I would like to congratulate Dayna on the rescue of the poor little
abused ferret.  People like that should be punished, and I hope she was.  I
hope those poor people do not have children.  God knows what she would do to
them if they did.....

I have to comment on one part of her post, however.  Now, this IS NOT A
FLAME!  I completely agree with letting the ferret chose who is appropriate
as an owner.  That's wonderful.  I would just like to offer a different
perspective on judging someone on what they drive or the clothes they wear.

I work for Catholic Community Services of Utah, serving the homeless
population of Salt Lake City.  Many of these people have pets.  (Usually
dogs, although I have seen a cat or two.) Homeless people have pets too.
The majority of these people treat their pets better than themselves.  I
have seen many save over half their meal to feed their pet, when you could
tell they needed the food too.  Their response is "he was with me through
the good times, and I want him with me when they get good again.  Even when
their own lives "have gone to hell in a handcart" they care for their very
best friends.  The ones who really don't care what you drive or what you
wear.

The point I am trying to make is that you cannot always judge by appearances.
You cannot judge bank account or personal integrity.  The past four and a
half years downtown have taught me a lot, and that is not to judge people
that way.  I have seen a homeless person in very bad straights turn in a
wallet with literally hundreds of dollars in cash and credit cards to me to
send to the owner.  He felt that it wasn't his, and if he lost his wallet he
would want someone to return it.  Many people are that way with their pets,
and I have seen first hand examples.  Such as the guy whose dog needed dog
food and shots and spent two days "canning" (collecting aluminum cans) and
washing everyone's car who would let him where I work to pay for them.  He
proudly showed us the rabies tag after he accomplished his goal.

I'm sure that what Dayna was saying was that you take the whole person
(grooming, demeanor, etc.) into perspective.  I just didn't want anyone to
think that appearance should be the sole factor in "to adopt or not to
adopt." Obviously, I don't advocate adopting ferrets (or any other animal
for that matter) to someone who is homeless.  But someone who drives a
"beater" car, or buys their clothes from the Goodwill (it's called Deseret
Industries out here behind the Zion curtain) or the Salvation Army doesn't
necessarily make a poor owner.  Stereotypes scare me the hell out of me
because I was just as guilty of them as everyone else until I had first hand
experience seeing how wrong they can be.

Please keep up the good work Dayna.  I did not mean to sound critical.  On a
written forum so much is missing that you can get from a face-to-face
conversation.  I just had to add my two cents worth.  I am not criticising
you or your adopting criteria.  I just wanted to point out how "appearances
can be disceiving." I personally get much more from a person, now, by how
they act, how they treat others, than when their last bath was, or what
their clothes look like.

As far as the poor ferrets in WA and FL, I would be happy to take one
or foster one, if there is anyone traveling with them through SLC.
Unfortunately, I am not able to take a trip of any significant distance at
this time.  But, "there is room at the Inn" so to speak.

Christmas (or whatever holiday you chose to participate in) Blessings from:

Catherine, Pato, Snowball and Hubert
From Behind The Zion Curtain