From:
"Hyperfur Products, Cheweasel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2003 23:27:50 -0800
From Hyperfur regarding post saying a virus is coming from Hyperfur.

I recently read a post regarding a virus coming from Hyperfur.  Here at
Hyperfur, I have checked our systems carefully and we have never had a
virus detected in our system.  We use Norton Anti-virus and Firewall
with automatic weekly updates and we run scans on a regular basis.  Just
to be certain, moments ago, I manually got the most recent updates and
ran another scan and once again, no virus has been detected.

I recently learned that spammers frequently use programs that put in a
sender's name that is not the real sender.  They do this so that the
large number of returned emails from their massive (sometimes out of
date) mailing lists does not return to them to clog their systems.  It
seems to me that a virus may have pulled the name Hyperfur out of the
system of an infected computer and is identifying us as the sender.
This way, people won't be able to notify the correct person that their
computer is infected.

At Hyperfur, we do not send mass mailing or promotions to our customers
and therefore, we don't have massive mailing lists on the computer we use
to access the Internet.  The only emails we send are in direct response
to questions or regarding order status.

We have two computers, one of which is used to process orders and has a
direct link (not via the internet) for processing credit cards.  This
computer does not get connected to the Internet.  Our second computer
is used for Internet research, emails and correspondence and we feel that
we have it fairly well protected with anti-virus software.

Having said all of this, if a computer somewhere is sending out emails
supposedly from us with some sort of game attached, DO NOT OPEN IT.  It
did not come from us and as another subscriber mentioned, it may contain
a virus.

Thanks,

Don Hunt

Hyperfur Products, makers of Cheweasels, Fuzzy's Foamy Fries and EZ-Dry
after bath sacks.

[Moderator's note: That subject, "my first game", or similar, is one of
the subjects the Klez virus typically uses.  The Klez virus fakes the
"From:" line, so it LOOKS like it's originating from someone else, in
this case, from Hyperfur.  But the real origin is more difficult to
determine, but it is indeed NOT Hyperfur, or whomever it says this time
around.  Delete it unread!  BIG]