Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 22:34:43 -0400
I am forwarding the below for Lorie Frezza of the Ferret Rescue and Referral
Organization of the Memphis Area.  She asked that this letter be posted in
response to the folks who wrote to her concerning the ECE outbreak at her
shelter.  On a sadder note, another home with ferrets has come down with ECE
here in Memphis, with the loss of one ferret due to complications.

" I just want to THANK EVERYONE who responded to my ECE story.  It was so
comforting to hear from so many different people.  You have no idea how good
it made me feel.  I really do feel like I "walked barefoot across the hot
embers of HELL" .  If that is any indication of what Hell will be like, we
all need to review things!  HA It was the most miserable month I can recall.

I couldn't help but crry when I read "A Request from Rainbow Bridge".  I
still miss "Maggie" terribly and still call out her name at times.
Sometimes, when I close my eyes and listen very carefully, I can still see
and hear her playing with all the others.  But think oh how many more she is
now playing with!

adrenal gland tumors.  I just know that early in 1996, Maggie began to lose
hair around the base of the tail.  Then her vulva began to swell.  Since I
knew she was spayed, I began to suspect adrenal gland tumors.  My vet opened
her up on June 12, 1996 and found that the left adrenal gland did have a
tumor on it.  Since she wasn't handling the surgery that well, we didn't
have time to check the right one.

Weeks passed and still she hadn't grown back the hair, hence, another reason
to suspect that her right adrenal gland had a tumor on it.  We never went
back in to confirm it because I didn't want to put her through that again.
Wheter she would have lived longer if ECE hadn't gotten her, I'll never
know.  Idon't believe however, that ferrets should be euthanized for this if
surgery can benefit them even if for a short time.  Of course, the surgery
is risky too so you just have to weigh the odds.  I would rather try
something other than euthanizing them (unless it is truly your only option)
because that is so final.

Well, I promised Al this wouldn't be long!  Since I don't have a link to the
net, I have to depend on wonderful people like hem to post my notes.

I just can't say enough that I appreciated everyone's reply and also for
forwarding my story on to whomever it can help.  Again, please feel free to
contact me and I will be more than happy to help and gifve whatever
information I can.

Lorie Frezza"

the above opinions are those of Lorie.  as before, I will be happy to print
off and forward to her any responses.  I do not monitor the fml on a ongoing
basis therefore pls email me direct.

Al Gearhart (aka AlBaby247) @aol.com
Daisy, Luke, Bo, & Beauty / Speedbump & Millhouse
http://members.aol.com/AlGearhart/