Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 1994 10:40:20 EST
To Mike and Yuki Busch concerning Sneaker and Swamp -

        I read your post with interest.  I think you need to have the adrenal
surgery definitely done on Sneaker, and probably on swamp, too.

        Most of the diagnostic tests and possible treatments that your vet has
considered or is considering work well in dogs and cats, but don't work in
ferrets.  I believe your vet bills may end up being considerably higher than
necessary.

        HCG shots will not bring down the size of Sneaker's vulva.  This is not
a normal estsrus - it is the result of hyperestrogenism due to anutonomous
production in the adrenal.  Additionally, the ACTH stimulation test which you
described tests for cortisol (which is produced in Cushing's disease - a totally
different disease), not in adrnela associated endocrinopathy (AAE).  This is why
the tests were inconclusinve - you are not testing for the right compound.  ACTH
stimulation has been shown to be ineffective in cases of AAE.  The best thing to
do for Sneaker (and Swamp) is to go right ahead and do the adrenalectomy,
without waiting for other test results, etc.  The only test that may be positive
(33% of the time), is a blood estradiol level, but 66% of cases aren't even
positive with that - it's not a very sensitive test.

        As far as Swamp is concerned - I have not see Lysodren or ketaconazole
work in ferrets.  It works well in dogs with adrenal hyperplasia, but I have
seen several cases in which these drugs were used in adrenal tumors in ferrets,
but there was no response.  My suggestion is surgery, if at all possible.  I
just have had no experience with successful medical treatment in this condition.

        The moral of this story - if the signs are there - surgery is the way to
go.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 782-2600/2602                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000