From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 1997 08:37:03 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    tjohnso1 <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Canine Distemper?  (was Sick Ferret)
>Well, I took Santino to the vet today.  I thought Santino seemed to have
>improved.

Unfortunately Distemper is 100% fatal and ferrets pass away approximately 10
days after symptoms start.  If you ferret is doing better, the odds are that
it is not distemper.

>From:    "David J. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet question (or anyone else who might have seen similar effect)
>The question is: can molting (or pollen season, or some other annual
>happening) cause recurring diarrhea?

Probably. I always joke that ferrets get diarrhea if you look at them the
wrong way. The metabolic changes that occur with shedding could initiate
diarrhea, but I would also look for other possibilities.

>From:    Library <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Sore Throat??
>Well, We have a very sick fuz head!  About a week ago he managed to get up
>on the table and tear open a roll of life savers.  He ingested some of the
>wrapper and some cherry lifesavers.  We gave him some laxatone ...

A very possible scenario.  I wouldn't discount the chance of an obstruction
also.  If the symptoms persist or worsen, consider x-rays and barium study
(though the tinfoil should be apparent on a plain x-ray).

>From:    Andrew & Catherine and sometimes Chryss <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Insulinoma; Advantage flea control - really this time
>Khia, who is 61/2, has just been diagnosed with Insulinoma.

Actually surgery should be your first option.  Debulking the insulinoma
tumor in the beginning can buy you significant increases in longevity.
My approach is:
1) surgery to remove any obvious tumor.
2) if symptoms recur, consider a second surgery (though few clients go for
   this).
3) Prednisone 1-2 mg/kg of body weight twice daily. If you get to 2 mg/kg,
   that's the maximum effective dose (any more doesn't improve things).
4) Proglycem.

Even with this protocol, the average life span from the time of diagnosis is
470 days.

>From:    Debra Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet Input
>When I was at my vet's office earlier this week he gave me a copy of a
>histopath report on an adrenal tumor he removed recently and asked for me to
>pass it around to ask if other vets had seen the particular neoplasm

I haven't had a histopathology report like this one. The person you should
contact is Dr. Bruce Williams at <[log in to unmask]> since he has done tons
of biopsies.

>From:    Maggie <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: vet question.. Roxie's mommy is desperate
>Some of you may have remembered my sweet sick MF sprite named Roxie I posted
>about her last

I see a quite a few of these 'poor do-ers' from a variety of reasons.  After
running tests, I attribute the non-specific ones to
malabsorption/maldigestion secondary to gastro-enteritis.  A few that did
not make it have been autopsied and there are usually significant intestinal
lining changes.

So... I start the poor do-ers on my standard gastro-enteritis therapy of
antibiotics, sucralfate, anf force feeding. Most, but not all, respond after
a lengthy time (weeks).

>From:    Susie Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Rabies Q & A
>It is true that humans can be innoculated against the rabies virus.  To my
>understanding, it is the same as the shot given to those bitten by potential
>rabid animals

There is both a preventive vaccine and a type of globulin (antibodies)
injection given to possible exposure people victims.

The vaccine is not necessarily life long.  You can either get vaccinated
every other year or have a blood titer taken to see if you have high enough
levels of protective antibodies.

>From:    Karen Daigneault <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Question
>Morrow is coming due for her distemper shot.  Last one went ok, no
>reactions, no nothing except maybe a little tired.

Vaccine reactions are like bee stings.  You become 'sensitized' over a
period of time.  So if your ferret is going to have a reaction, it usually
occurs during the later vaccines.

>From:    Jaclyn D Vanderhoef <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: feline herpes
>My roommate has a 6 month old cat that was diagnosed with feline herpes.
>Are my to little monsters at risk?  If so, I presume it is too late as we

Herpes is a species specific virus.  I have not heard of any cases of feline
herpes in ferrets and would not expect to.

>From:    Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: A Question

Most obstructions in ferrets are BIG things and I doubt a gylcerin stick
would work.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA