From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 1995 00:40:28 -0400
I've been reading quite a bit on the FML about the health effects of
altering ferrets "early" or "too early".  Males remain small, faces
remain slender, there MAY be adrenal problems later in life, there MAY
be the danger of gonadal tissue left behind.  "Too early" begs the
question of what would be the "right" age for altering ferrets, that
would be optimal for the ferret's health.
   I realize that individual ferrets and the circumstances of their
adoption would dictate variation in the answer.  For example, an early
spay would be appropriate for a pet shop sale, when we don't know how
responsible the owner will be.
   Since I'm married to an economist, I'll borrow that profession's
"perfect world" scenario: Let's ASSUME a jill kit in good health, a
prospective owner who is very sensitive to the need for spaying before
she comes into season, and a breeder known to the owner.  Given that, is
there a blanket recommendation for age at spay?  Should other factors be
weighed?  Should we ask the breeder at what age s/he's observed the
females in the bloodline come into heat (and make an appointment to spay
for the month before)?  Do we plan on spaying at six months, but watch
for a swollen vulva earlier, in case she's a prodigy?
   Regarding males, am I correct in assuming that neutering may be
done at any time, even after the hob has been "functioning" for a few
years--without significant health effects?  Is there an age BEFORE
which neutering is not recommended?

Please respond to me DIRECTLY: [log in to unmask]  I will summarize
the answers (and categorize the answers from vets, breeders, and
rescue workers) for the FML later in the week.

YO, MASS RESIDENTS and those of you with friends and relations in MASS:
keep up the good work in contacting the state senators and educating the
public--and pet shops!  Help Sharon Burbine (and the fuzzies here) out.
She's doing a great job.
  Speaking of great jobs, Steph Sheme: I think you're doing a
very brave and good deed. Good luck.

Regards,
Lee McKee [log in to unmask]