From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 10:44:18 -0400
Renee wrote:
>The post office has two box sizes for the flat rate mailing ($8.40). I
>stuff these full when I ship heavy items and KNOW the rectangle will
>hold at least 4 small bags of the EVO ferret food. You may want to try
>the flat rate boxes when shipping. Just an idea for all of you who
>ship frequently.

HI Renee,

Since the last postal increase the flat rate boxes you mentioned above
measure 8 x 11 x 14 inches cost $8.95 to ship in the US. (Insurance
is additional). They are great for heavy items like your bags of evo
food, but will not hold much in the way of bedding! Fluffy sleepers &
blankies etc don't easily squash down! The parcel post boxes which can
take up to 9 days for delivery are a better choice.. but the costs vary
on location of destination ( ZONE). I sent 14 # to NJ for $14., another
14# to Fl for $14 and have 14# ready for VA which will cost $14.

If we were a rich shelter we would gladly ship for free, however lack
of income at Ferret Wise has forced us to discontinue taking in
ferrets - and adopting them out. WHY? The license jumped to $200 and
then the state licensing requirements added more red tape like health
certificates ( which run out after 14 days and you have to pay for new
ones) in addition to vaccinations and other medical care-- and now the
new pet shop law which the atty gen & state director has said DOES
apply to shelters-- that within 14 days of adoption if a ferret is
presented at a vets and is deemed ill - the adopter gets a new animal
or refund. We spend over $1,000 getting ferrets readfy for adoption
and sometimes more depending on issues... we can no longer afford to
shelter and meet the requirements at Ferret Wise. None of this even
begins to take in the ongoing financial requirements of food, lights,
water/sewer etc. which still must be paid while we care for the hospice
ferrets. Unfortunately the laws NH have put a huge burden on small
animal shelters. We can now best serve the community by educating both
the humane societies which have a greater financial backing and the
public who impulsively purchase the ferrets, but only as long as we
get support to do so..

So as I mentioned in my earlier posts we do have bedding in our lockers
which due to down sizing the ferret accommodations is available ( used,
clean in good shape) but those who would like it must help and over the
postage.

Sincerely,
Alicia at Ferret Wise ( now an education center / hospice)
www.ferretwise.org
a 501c3 org.