From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 1995 10:19:08 -0500
Kirk David Pearson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> A really great toy combination has been putting the whiffle golf
> ball inside the dryer hose and putting the hose in a loop with an
> inch of space between each end.  How many laps will your ferret do?
> Nikkei did at least 5.

Pixxel alone only went three.  Pixxel + jingle ball, maybe four.
Pixxel + Rusty chasing each other, four -- 'till Pix turned around in
the tube and Rusty came backing out at top speed, looking like a furry
pufferfish when he emerged.

Linda Doran <[log in to unmask]> asked:
> How much hair is normal? Are there other ferrets out there whose
> lower abdomens have a thin pink area in the middle where there's not
> much fur? [...]
> Are there other ferrets with downy white fur showing through that
> makes the hair look thinner because there's fewer of the darker
> guard hairs?

Both our ferrets have considerably less fur on their tummies than
elsewhere, to the point of seeing pink skin showing through in a
roughly quarter-sized area on the lower abdomen.  You can also see
their underfur through their guard hairs, especially in winter,
especially on the lighter of the pair.

I don't know how much hair is normal, or if Espie's losing any to
worry about, but what you're describing doesn't sound too unusual to
me.  I get the impression, from those on the list who've experienced
it, that if your ferret's really losing hair, you'll know it.

- Pam   <[log in to unmask]>
Ferret Central - <http://www.ceas.rochester.edu:8080/ee/users/rhode/index.html>
Ferret FAQ - GET ANSWERS PACKAGE FERRET in mail to <[log in to unmask]>