From:
Anna Curry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 12:41:47 -0400
The following was my response sent to the David Letterman show in reference
to their "Wet the weasel" "Joke?" on the David Letterman show 10/6/98:

I would like to stress my concern as nicely as possible.  I am a ferret
mother of 2 and adore and RESPECT all animals in general.  However, due
to your gruesome "Joke" regarding "Wet a weasel" I will focus my concerns
today on Ferrets, who in fact ARE NOT WEASELS.  I am so outraged that the
first thing that comes to mind is "HOW DARE YOU!!!".  Do you have no
respect or remorse for other living creatures.  It really makes you think,
who is the animal because the only animal that I see is the caveman whom
has not yet evolved pouring water on a defenseless frightened ferret.  The
ferret is a sweet, sensitive, cuddly, TRUSTING animal who's best joys comes
when showing love and affection to its family.  For someone to do this
horrific crime, and it is a crime to abuse animals is unspeakable.  I am
mortified and discussed.  The people who are in the best position to make
an example for people to follow choose to spread the message to be immoral,
unjust, cruel, abusive, to have bad taste, and to break the law.  Bravo!  I
just wonder how many people are following your mentoring.  Sad to say you
know that there are David Letterman fans somewhere to follow his lead
because they trust him.  Well that little innocent ferret trusted him too;
trusted him to do the right humane thing; to allow that little ferret to do
what he/she loves doing best; to bring a smile to someone's face.  But no,
you would rather abuse and terrify that ferret.  SHAM ON YOU!!!  I demand
action!  I demand that you take the same time, if not more time that it
took to abuse that ferret and publicly apologize on behalf of these
wonderful ferrets as well as the families that love and adore them.  In
your statement I am sure you would want to add that you in no way wanted to
promote animal abuse and have had many letters/responses of what wonderful
family member ferrets have made for so many families across the world.  I
am sure that taking this suggested action would lessen your chance of
charges of animal abuse being brought before you, as I know several people
including myself who are looking into this.  For you to take any other
action would be pure ignorance!  Please, I beg you to do the right thing.

Anna Curry, Belle, Tigger, Ferrets and their families they love
Maryland