From:
David Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:47:48 -0700
Been a while since I've posted, been reading mostly.  My three babes are
fine and looking to get a couple more once I relocate next month.  Anyways.
I thought the wording of a warning on the back of the application here was
interesting considering the new bill passed by the Federal folks.

"Warning from the NYS Health Department: As a prospective purchaser of a pet
ferret you need to be aware that ferrets may for some unknown reason attack
humans especially babies and young children.  There have been reports, in
this state as well as across the ccountry, of ferrets crawling into cribs
and inflicting multiple biteson babies.  They have also without warning,
attacked young chilren sitting or playing on the floor.  (boldtyped) If you
have a baby or young children in your home it is essential that if you
purchased a ferret it must be kept in a secure cage at all times
(unboldtyped)"

Is it just me or does it sound like you want to own a tiger cub?  I mean...
I know bureaucracy is slow, but isn't this a bit extreme as a warning of any
kind for our cute cuddly little friends?

- Dave,  Rune, Ceridwen, and Helen (and two more little girls who just
don't know they already have a place in my heart)

[Moderator's note: It took them years to take off the warning stating there
was no rabies vaccine available... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for
them to remove that silly biting notice... they've been asked.  BIG]