Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 2010 03:37:53 -0500
To: Cathy,

Thanks for this excellent info- you obviously know you ferret poop-
about the deslorelin- we've been currently paying $127.00 for each
Lupron injection. Our vet does stock some on hand, so he doesn't have
to order individual vials. I know that many vets will order an entire
lot/vial, then freeze and/or shave to give those monthly shots. At
which time they can also charge an office visit (not an annual,but a
"well-care" cost visit). Unfortunately, some vets are more interested
in, well, the bottom dollar. I can understand some of this, but with
over 100 ferrets in our shelter, every penny counts. And, honest to
God, the most frequent cancer we've been seeing in our shelter ferrets
isn't adrenal - it's insulinoma, which kinda sucks.

Each & every ferret reacts differently to the amount of pred -
plus some already have ulcers, so we have to pre-dose with
carafe/sulcrafate. We've also tried proglycym- the cost of this
med is way up there, and it usually only buys a few more months of
quality-of-life. Then there's the 2 mg valium I keep on hand to share
with our other "locations"- in the event of those horridness, screaming
seizures, always in the middle of the night, weekends, holidays, etc,
so at least we can "knock them down" peacefully until we can get them
in to put to sleep.

As for that "Rat Bastard", well, I figured he and Mittens had more in
common, so they are now engaged. Although, I don't see any ring on her
paw.

I'll still send him a secret Valentine card- he & she are both blind,
so I'll just take him into my lap and read it to.him.

If he ends up feeling guilty, and tells Mittens, I'll just deny every
bit of it.

Hugs and many thanks,

Marlene b.
Director