From:
"Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 12:37:06 -0400
Hi everyone!  Good news!  Sometimes you can make a difference when you take
the time to write letters to express your concern about an issue.

BURIEN PET CENTER, WASHINGTON
Recently I wrote a letter (and sent a mini-FAQ) to the Burien Pet Center in
Washington state.  Lynn Mc wrote some time ago to tell us that they had a
ferret there who wasn't being kept properly:

>He's being kept at a pet store in a glass aquarium with only a glass jar
>for a home, last time I heard, which was a few days ago, during the heat
>wave here!

The owner of the store called me and left a few messages (I wasn't home)
expressing her concern for the ferret and assuring me that he is housed in a
large, plexiglass-sided, mesh-topped pen.  I hope to speak with her directly
to be sure that she is up to date on proper care.  At least she genuinely
sounds concerned.

MILWAUKEE COUNTY ZOO
As some of you may remember, the Milwaukee County Zoo had posted a sign
above their domestic ferret display indicating that ferrets live in a
habitat of:

>"Woodlands, and Fields"

The deputy zoo director himself wrote back to say, "Thank you for taking the
time to write your comments about our ferrets...Your point about our sign
not indicating that these animals are domestic is an excellent one.  We will
change the sign as soon as possible, hopefully by next week."

Considering that I'm a resident of Pittburgh, PA, I was thrilled that I was
able to make a difference in places hundreds, even thousands, of miles away
with the simple act of writing a letter.  Moral of the story, you too can
help out by writing a letter to express your care and concern for an issue.
Just remember to be polite and helpful, and you will be surprised what a
positive reaction you might receive.

Happy writing
Gina, Paleface, Gunnar, and Daniel
Formerly <[log in to unmask]>               Now <[log in to unmask]>