From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 19:58:29 -0400
BTW, sometimes ferrets can also trade bacterial sinus infections back and
forth with humans; we've been there.

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG3519
I am sorry for your loss.  Not all Triaminic products have acetaminophen
in them, but apparently the one that you have, does.  Many people wonder
why I don't generally prescribe medications for ferrets with influenza or
other mild upper respiratory infections, and unfortunately, this is the
exact reason why.

Tylenol (acetominophen) is a very toxic drug in ferrets.  Any product
containing acetominophen is not suitable for animals, and we don't
even use this product in my household for the humans.  This drug is
exclusively metabolized by the liver, and even a small amount generally
overwhelms the liver's ability to detoxify it.  Once that is breached
then the breakdown products of this drug bind to proteins in the liver
cells, rapidly killing the cells, and sending the animals spiraling into
liver failure.

In humans, it has a very low level of toxicity, and I am constantly
amazed at widespread usage.  Normal doses have been known to cause liver
damage in persons who take tylenol with alcohol, and a dosage of only 5-6
times normal may result in death in children.  It is a commonly abused
substance in suicide attempts by children and teens.  But the key is that
in animals, it is a killer.  While this is indeed a tragedy, I am hopeful
that others may learn from your misfortune, and will think twice about
giving any human medications to their pets without a veterinarian's
advice.

On a side note, the liver failure occurring with acetominophen is rapid,
fulminant and deadly.  When clinical signs appear, the chances of a pet
surviving is minimal.  In the case of this type of Triaminic, it appears
that ANY dosage, 3 ccs or not, would likely have been fatal.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG10945
Let's give it a bit more time.  They may have contracted influenza
(Ferrets don't get colds.) which may account for the coughing and
sneezing.  The fact that he is playing and running and eating like normal
is a good sign - but continue to watch carefully.

With kindest regards, Bruce Williams, DVM