From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 1994 20:00:00 -0400
Hello all!
I am relatively new to this list and would like to introduce myself and ask a
couple of questions.  My name is Deborah and my ferret's name is Charlie.  My
boyfriend and I picked up Charlie in Arizona in May when he was six weeks old.
We absolutely love him and think he is the best pet anyone could possibly have!
He is the first ferret that we've ever owned and we have learned a lot from
reading books and subscribing to this list.  However, I still have a couple of
unanswered questions.  My first question is this:
    We both work all day and feel awful for leaving him alone all day.  We have
considered getting another little guy to keep him company.  Should we do
this?  Is it bad to leave the little guy alone during the day?  If we do,
should we get another male?  How old should he be?  What do we do to
introduce them?  I've read plenty on introducing them to other animals such
as cats and dogs - is it the same?
My second question is:
    Does anyone know what the current status is in California on ferrets.  I
know that the past legislation didn't pass.  Is there another bill being put
together?  Is it a group that I can contact and get involved with?  (As you
can see, I unfortunately am posting anonymously)
And, my third question is the following:
    We went away for the 4th of July camping, and we let a friend watch Charlie
while we were gone because we were afraid it would be unsafe and too hot for
Charlie to go with us.  When we came back Charlie had not eaten and had become
very lethargic.  I thought he was just upset because we left him for a couple of
days with a friend and maybe he thought we abandoned him.  After I had him back
for a day and he still wouldn't eat, I got worried and took him to the vet.  The
vet said that he looked healthy and after examining him said that maybe it was
just his food.  She brought in a different kind of food and he attacked it!
Then I really felt like a fool!  My question is this - he had the same food for
two months and seemed to love it.  All of a sudden we go on vacation, have a
friend watch him, and he gets finicky?  Is this normal?  Next time I go away do
I worry about him not eating or getting tempermental?  What do you all do when
you go on vacation?  Do your ferrets throw fits?  I know that the friend I left
him with was good to him.  He loves animals and once had a ferret.
Thanks again for all of your input ahead of time.  Like I said before, I have
really enjoyed this list and have gotten a lot from it!  Your stories and your
questions have helped me with Charlie tremendously!  (I used to wonder is
something was wrong when he would scratch or lie down all of a sudden)  Thanks
again!
Deborah, Mike (Charlie's dad), and Charlie