From:
Darrin Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:19:44 +1000
I am afraid I may have caused a bit of a problem with my post about
biting, by trying to say that there are ferrets with biting problems
due to abuse, mishandling, or issues like deafness etc...

I just wanted to point out again that these happenings are vary rare, and
even then , a loving owner can usually get the ferret to trust them , and
to become a loving pet over time.

MY post was in fact meant to be more about the very first few days, and
weeks of having a new ferret in the house, and the fact that some may be
a little be wary, or easily spooked in the new situation....

Even the most loving of ferrets will bite if it is scared or feels
cornered.  ( as will most pets), So, please don't think your ferret has
any problems or issues, if they act weird when you first bring them
home... Even the most well handled kit, will feel strange when suddenly
separated from a place that it knows, and people who have handled it, and
then brought into a new and strange place.

I just wanted to "recross" post a recent newsletter from another ferret
list which was originally posted here, on this list, by BOB C, regarding
introducing a new ferret and biting.

http://www.ferretnews.com/issues/ferret-news-85.html
10 Helpful Hints To Stop Fear Biting (By Bob Church)

Just to reassure those with new ferrets, our first ferret managed to bite
me right through the nose when we first got him....OUCH !!..but that was
my fault I scared him while he was still trying to figure out where he
was, but after a few days he settled in, and is still our most cuddly
ferret.

I hope that helps..
Darin