From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:29:56 -0400
>Is there a way one can feel to see if a fuzzy's adrenal glands are
>swollen?  If so how and where would I do this?  I took one of my

Not really unless the disease is well advanced and the glands are
extremely swollen.  They are normally very tiny - about the diameter of
a mechanical pencil lead - and early tumors won't be that much bigger.
A vet who is used to palpating abdomens might be able to feel adrenal
tumors, but I wouldn't recommend you try it at home.

>... The vet said he didn't think it was by feeling him and said that he
>was probably too young to have it (he is aprox...

There's really no such thing.  Any age ferret can develop adrenal tumors,
and my vet agrees that we seem to be seeing more and more cases at
younger ages.  Yes, older ferrets are more likely to develop adrenal
tumors, but you can't discount it just because a ferret is young.

>... 2 years old).  He is beginning to scratch and chew a lot around the
>sides of his abdomen in the area of his back legs, and I think that
>is where the glands are, right?  He is loosing hair in those spots

Honestly, to me this sounds more like allergies than adrenal symptoms.
Most small animals don't get allergic sinus congestion like we do;
instead they itch, especially on their bellies.  The hair loss in those
areas is probably from the over-grooming behavior.  Have you changed
anything in his environment lately?  His food, his litter, his bedding,
the brand of laundry detergent you're using, room deodorizers, anything?
If you have, trying undoing those changes and see if he stops itching so
much.

Of course it never hurts to check for adrenal disease as well, if only to
rule it out.

roger