Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 1994 09:08:07 -0400
Jim,
We've gone through a lot of similar (perhaps not identical) diarrhea a few
months ago.  It seemed to respond very well to Pepto Bismol (sp) and
antibiotics (Bactrim or Amoxcillen (sp) for a period of 10 days to 2 weeks.
 If you don't keep it up for that long it comes back.  But, please check with
your vet on appropriatness and dosages.  Some of ours did very well on the
Pepto Bismol alone, but these had only a mild case.  I wouldn't recommend
anyone try that without Vet approval.

We force fed lots and lots of water (just short of drowning <G>) and Duck
Soup 5-6 times a day.  There are lots of variations on the Duck Soup.  Ours
is 1/2 cup of Iams mashed well.  Moisten with warm water to form a paste.
 Add about 1/8 cup of Sustical, a ribbon of Nutrical or Nutristat and a pump
or two of Ferretone.  You can also use a Pedelite solution in place of the
water to help replace the minerals.  Warm it in the microwave, but stir it
well before serving to make sure that there are no HOT spots in the mixture.
 Make the solution very watery at first so that you can get it in a syringe
or eyedropper, and force as much into them as you can, interspersed with
dropperfulls of water.  Before each feeding, offer them the bowl of food to
see if they'll eat on their own.  Make it a lot easier.

The diarrhea should stop within 24 hours.  If it doesn't you might go with
some Kaopectate, but the Pepto Bismol seems to help kill the bacteria
responsible for a lot of these problems.  Keep it up, as I said, so that it
doesn't re-occur, and ALWAYS do it in concert with your vet.  I'm certainly
NOT one.

Dick B.